in order for food to be turned into stem cells in the crypts of the small intestine it must be alkaline / all meats and dairy products have a acidifying effect on the body
Kim Williams, MD, a cardiologist and president of the American College of Cardiology, became a vegan in 2003 after finding out that his cholesterol levels were high — and it changed his life. He went vegan because he was impressed by how much the heart scans of one of his patients improved after she tried a plant-based diet: She went from being at high risk for heart disease to being at normal risk in just a matter of months.
A plant-based diet can decrease plaque in the blood vessels and lower risk of diabetes and stroke, says Dr. Williams
1. Lower risk of cancer
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has reported that vegetarians
are less likely to get cancer by 25 to 50 percent.
2. The countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis are the ones where people drink the most milk and have
the most calcium in their diets.
The connection between calcium consumption and bone health is actually very weak, and the connection between dairy consumption and bone health is almost nonexistent.
3. Lower risk of osteoporosis. Studies have shown that too much protein in our diet causes loss of bone calcium. Meat eaters generally get far more protein than they need or can use.
4. Lower risk of kidney and gallstones. The calcium leached from the bones by the body's efforts to neutralize the acids produce by too much protein intake can end up forming kidney stones and gall stones.
5. Factory farmed animals carry disease. According to the FDA poultry is the number one source of food-borne illness. Despite the heavy use of pesticides and antibiotics, up to 60% percent of chickens sold at the supermarket are infected with live salmonella bacteria. Approximately 30% of all pork products are contaminated with toxoplasmosis. We are increasingly at risk from highly contagious diseases like Mad Cow Disease and Foot and Mouth disease in sheep and cattle .
6. Factory farmed animals contain extremely toxic chemicals . Meat contains accumulations of pesticides and other chemicals up to 14 times more concentrated than those in plant foods.
7. A study by the JAMA Internal Medicine Journal has shown that Substituting eggs for plant protein shows a 19 per cent reduction in death risk
and eliminating unprocessed red meat saw a drop of 12 per cent.
8. The 12 year long Harvard Nurses’ Health Study found that those who consumed the most calcium from dairy foods broke more bones than those who rarely drank milk. This is a broad study based on 77,761 women aged 34 through 59 years of age.
9. Cancer Prevention. Prostate, breast, and ovarian cancers have been linked to dairy consumption. And, if you’ve read The China Study, you’re aware of the link between casein (the main protein in milk) and cancer. If not, READ it! Dr. T. Colin Campbell, professor emeritus of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University and author of The China Study, says casein is one of the most significant cancer promoters ever discovered. Think about how often children are pushed to eat milk, yogurt, and cheese .
10. KIM WILLIAMS, MD, A CARDIOLOGIST AND PRESIDENT OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY,
BECAME A VEGAN IN 2003 AFTER FINDING OUT THAT HIS CHOLESTEROL LEVELS WERE HIGH — AND IT CHANGED HIS LIFE.
HE WENT VEGAN BECAUSE HE WAS IMPRESSED BY HOW MUCH THE HEART SCANS OF ONE OF HIS PATIENTS IMPROVED AFTER SHE TRIED A PLANT-BASED DIET: SHE WENT FROM BEING AT HIGH RISK FOR HEART DISEASE TO BEING AT NORMAL RISK IN JUST A MATTER OF MONTHS.
Environmental & Morale Reasons:
11. Inefficient use of agriculture. 70% of U.S. grain production is used to feed farm animals. The grains and soybeans fed to animals to produce the amount of meat consumed by the average American in one year could feed seven people for the same period.
12. Inefficient use of water. It takes 2640 gallons of water to produce one pound of edible beef. The water used to raise animals for food is more than half the water used in the United States.
13. Inefficient use of energy.Prolong Your Life
Vegetarians live six to 10 years longer on average than meat-eaters do. Healthy vegetarian diets support a lifetime of good health and provide protection against numerous diseases and the three biggest killers – heart disease, cancer and strokes.
14. Environmental Pollution. Raising animals for food is the biggest polluter of our water and topsoil. Factory farm animal waste pollutes the ground and groundwater horribly.
15. Destruction of natural habitat. It takes more land to raise animals for food than it does to produce the equivalent nutritional value by raising edible plants. Rain forests are being destroyed to make room for huge cattle ranches. Coyotes and other animals are poisoned and shot by western cattle ranchers who consider federal land to be their land for grazing.